If you have relocated to SA and hold a Drivers License from another state or Territory in Australia, you must surrender your interstate license and obtain an SA license within 3 months of becoming a resident.OVERSEAS

Temporary visitors, students and workers

Students, visitors and those who are working in SA on current temporary visas are permitted to drive with an overseas license as stated below only while that license is current. If that expires, you are required to obtain a SA driver’s license.

If you hold a current overseas drivers license of a particular class you may drive a vehicle of an equivalent class in SA if

• you also hold a current international driving permit


• your foreign license is written in English or is accompanied by an english translation of the details on the license


• you are not disqualified from driving in SA or elsewhere.You are required to carry your license (and english translation if applicable) at all times when driving. You must produce the license and your temporary visa to Police on request.